Tuesday 31 March 2009

The Beauty Spot: Sadie Hewlett


It's always a pleasure and a complete eye-opener to talk to make-up artists... They always have great visual ideas for catwalk looks and for styles and trends that can be easily recreated by women on the street.

Here I speak to one of my favourite artists, Sadie Hewlett, who gives us an insight into life as a working make-up artist, her key S/S 09 trends and colours and who she admires in the industry.

Who are you and what do you do?
My name is Sadie Hewlett and i am a freelance make-up artist.

How did you become a make-up artist?
I used to work for Prescriptives as a cosmetic consultant but I always wanted to be a make-up artist. I trained at Greasepaint 7 years ago. I chose Greasepaint as they have such a good reputation and as an agency and they still get me the occasional job. My first job was assisting one of my tutors whilst I was still at training at Greasepaint and it went from there.

Name some of the celebrities you've worked with...
Lily Cole, Duncan James, Peaches Geldof and Myleene Klass

Describe a day in your life as a make-up artist?
One of the reasons why I love my job is that every day is different. Normally I arrive at the shoot and have a chat with the stylist and have a look at the clothes to get a idea of the look for the shoot. If I'm working with a celeb I always like to have a chat with them so I can get a idea of how they like their make-up done before we start. When you'ra a make-up artist you tend to be very busy at the beginning of the shoot then you might just do touch u'ps throughout the rest of day.

What are your tips to achieve a flawless make-up look that doesn't look too 'done', just in time for the Spring?
I've never been a fan of heavy make-up (unless it's for a specfic look) I always start with Clarins Beauty Flash Balm before foundation as it gives such a flawless skin. As for foundation, Ilove Lancome Photogenic Lumessence, as it gives the skin a lovely glow and has great staying power! I'm also loving cream blushers at the mo. As for powder, MAC's blot powder is great as it isn't too heavy and does just blot away the shine.

What are the worst things you can for your skin?
I know you will have heard this before but sleeping in your make up! It really blocks up your skin, please take it off. Smoking is also really is terrible and I can tell who smokes just by looking at them!

What do you think are the best colours for Spring/Summer 2009?
I'm loving all the soft peaches that are around at the mo. They generally suit any skin and really lift your complection.

Which celebrity do you think has a great look and why?
Nicole Richie has a real effortless style and always looks amazing. I love Kylie and she looks great either fresh-faced or with full make-up, and I have to say Madonna - she is my ultimate style icon.

Who else do you admire in the beauty industry?
Kevyn Aucoin was an amazing make-up artist. His books are really worth looking at, such a talent.

What is your advice for aspiring make-up artists?
Keep on at it, it does take time! It's very tough but it's always very rewarding. I love my job

What's next for you?
More of the same! I have lots in the pipeline for this year.
Find out more about Sadie and her work by calling Minx Agency on 0207 733 8333

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin