Monday 23 February 2009

The Beauty Spot: Georgie Wolfinden


Oh, it's jolly nice doing this blog, not only because I get to try out lots of beauty products but also because it allows me to meet really interesting, hard-working people that make me want to strive for more and become an expert in my field.

My latest interview 'victim' is Georgie Wolfinden, Editor and Founder of wellbeing and natural beauty website
www.glowgetter.co.uk. I urge you to visit the site and trust me, once you've clicked, there's no going back. The products that Georgie stocks are all divine and all natural, so you won't feel any guilt when you tap in your credit card details (ehem, don't tell your boyfriend I said that!)

Over to Georgie:

Who are you and what do you do?
I am the founder of wellbeing website
www.glowgetter.co.uk. I scour the world for the most exciting and high performing natural beauty and wellbeing products.

How did you get into the business?

I have been in the wellbeing space for 10 years. I was the marketing director of triyoga and then went on to set up my own health and beauty PR business. I’ve always has a passion for natural alternatives to health and beauty. I think making your passion your job helps you enjoy every day.

Why did you decide to launch your own website?
I was always recommending my clients to take on products that I loved and they did. They always seemed to sell well so it made me think maybe I should be doing more of this. Even when I travelled I’d find myself in the local pharmacy and health food shops. So, it seemed like a natural progression to set up glowgetter.

All of the products that you sell are wellbeing and natural beauty related… why have you decided to focus on this area of the market?
I believe that if a product works without the chemicals then that makes the most sense. I have PCOS and over the last 10 years have worked hard to make myself healthy and keep the PCOS symptoms at bay. The doctors all wanted me to try out drugs or go on the pill. I opted for yoga, acupuncture, Chinese herbs and having a no chemicals policy in my home and bathroom cabinet. Today my hormones are balanced and I know I am doing the best I can for my health by not ingesting chemicals through products.

Who else do you admire in the industry?
I admire people who are innovative and are not scared to take chances. People who are honest and make try to communicate in a gracefully. The people behind new centre Alchemy do just this. They offer great yoga classes, treatments and wonderful workshops with some very interesting people in the wellbeing space. All of this and in a gorgeous space, I always relax as soon as I step through the door. Their café is fab too.

Any exciting new developments in the Glowgetter world?
Yes, we are going to be launching glowgetter TV and also getting a new US make up brand in March. I can’t say more than that at the moment. Both I am really excited about both things.

What are your ‘can’t live without’ beauty/wellbeing products/treatments/exercise?
I love the ARCONA range as it's natural but results driven. It seems to keep spots at bay whilst also being very anti ageing. I do yoga at home with the lovely Panilla Marott who keeps me sane and stops my mind whirling and I run in the woods with Julia Bishop my friend and founder of move your butt personal training. And, if I really want to treat myself I book a session with Ra at Alchemy – I feel like she refreshes my mental hard drive.

What are your thoughts on the move towards organic skincare?
I think it’s important to thinking about what we put on our skin. Our skin absorbs everything we put on it so it is good to be mindful. I think there are lots of organic skincare ranges popping up but even if they say organic they can still contain chemicals. So it’s important to read the label.

What advice would you give to any entrepreneur looking to set up in business?
Research your space, have courage, work hard, surround yourself with inspiring people and don’t forget to have fun.

What are your hopes for the future?

To keep on working with brands that are doing exciting things and to support the charity child action Nepal. The lady who runs it is one of the most inspiring women I have ever met and we are very proud that glowgetter allows us to support her charity. We hope glowgetter continues to support children in forgotten countries through child action Nepal.

I don't know about you, but I'm truly inspired by this interview. Note to self - work harder!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin