Tuesday 3 November 2009

The Beauty Spot: Jackie Tyson

Today in The Beauty Spot I speak to Jackie Tyson, celebrity make-up artist. Jackie has been in the industry for over twenty years, working with celebrities like Katy Perry, Lily Allen, Yasmin Le Bon, Daniel Craig, Brandon Flowers (swoon) and she's also the Chief Make-Up Artist on The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent. As we speak she's currently working with Bon Jovi... it's a tough job.

Let's find out a little bit more about her.

How did you get into the industry?
I always wanted to be a make-up artist, but growing up in Yorkshire I did not know anyone in the business. I moved to London after my A-levels and studied beauty therapy and hair. Whenever I met a photographer or anyone in the film industry I asked if I could work with them to get experience and I taught myself! I still work with some of the same photographers more than 20 years later.

What are your hero beauty products?
Hero products are Sisley moisturiser, concealers by Laura Mercier, mascara, Avon spectralash, gel liners by Bobbi Brown. Eight hour cream by
Elizabeth Arden.

How did you get involved in The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent?
When the first series of The X Factor started Simon Cowell was not happy with how the make-up looked so his creative director got in touch with me. At that time I worked with bands and did lots of TV work as a personal make-up artist. I took over the make-up and have been there ever since as the chief designer for all the contestants.

What advice would you give aspiring make-up artists?
I would like to advise aspiring make-up artists to do a make-up course. It would have saved me a lot of time if I had done a specific course.

What are your thoughts on organic/mineral make-up products?
Organic and mineral make-up is great for people with ultra-sensitive skin.

What are your favourite looks for the winter season?
I am loving the big make-up look. Large, dark, eyes, cheek contour, and bright lips.

Where's your favourite beauty hall/shop?
I am happy in any beauty hall but I love going to pharmacies and make-up shops abroad looking for new and unusual products.

What's next for you?
Next for me will be a Xmas break to catch up with my wonderful family and then I will be concentrating on my new make-up school and website so I can impart the many years of knowledge that I have gathered.

www.jackietyson.co.uk

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin